How to Sleep Properly to Prevent Neck Pain in Jacksonville FL
Sometimes we sleep and don't mind how we are positioned the whole night and we wake up with a stiff neck or neck pain and wonder how we got it. Other times, we can hardly sleep because we are already feeling the discomfort that goes with neck pain which is caused by a tight hamstring or trauma.
Neck pain in Jacksonville FL can keep us awake at night but with a few tips that can help alleviate the discomfort, you should be off to getting your much-needed rest in a short time
3 Tips to Help Alleviate or Prevent Neck Pain in Jacksonville FL When Sleeping
- Get the right pillow. Get the right pillow. Your pillow must support your neck's natural curve and must be aligned with your bed. A pillow that is too high can strain your neck muscles and interrupt your breathing while a pillow that is too low can also strain the neck muscles. Here is how you should choose a pillow according to the different sleeping positions:
- Sleeping on your back. Generally, back sleepers need a thin pillow so that the curve of the neck is similar when you are standing in the proper posture.
- Sleeping on the side. Side sleepers need a pillow that is thicker than the back sleepers'. Choose a pillow that ensures your neck and head are in their best position in accordance with your shoulders. The broader your shoulders are, the thicker the pillow that you will need if you prefer to sleep on your side.
- Sleeping on your stomach. As much as you can, avoid sleeping on your stomach because it will stress your neck muscles. However, if you really prefer this position, then get the slimmest pillow that you can find or have no pillow at all.
Back and side sleepers are advised to place a small rolled-up towel or pillow under the neck for more support.
- Neck stretching before bed. Stretch your neck before you sleep especially if most of the day you have been sitting or slouching for prolonged periods of time because these poor posture habits can tighten the muscles in your neck and give you difficulty sleeping at night. By stretching your neck, you will loosen up the tight muscles and relieve the pain.
- Keep your phone away. While it is natural that we usually spend a few minutes checking and browsing our phones when we are already in bed, this bad habit can cause neck pain and prevent you from having a good night's rest. Here are the reasons why:
- Neck muscles should always be supporting your head and be aligned with your head and balanced over your spine. When we use our phones in bed we exert more pressure on the neck muscles causing them to be in pain and preventing good sleep.
- Looking down at the phone forces your head to tilt up to a 60-degree angle. As such the angle also produces 60 pounds of force resulting in the strain of your muscle, tendons, and ligaments. The use of a phone causes neck pain which is also commonly known as text neck. Another thing that you should know is that the blue light emitted by your phone inhibits sleep because it can block your body from releasing melatonin so if you really need to look at your phone while in bed, ensure that you are looking at it at eye level and that you limit your screen time use.
If neck pain persists for more than a week, consult your local Jacksonville doctor so that he can recommend a comprehensive treatment plan to help relieve the pain. However, another alternative is to see a chiropractor in Jacksonville or Orange Park, FL for a natural way to relieve neck pain.
Chiropractic Adjustment to Ease Neck Pain
Cervical spine manipulation to relieve neck pain in Jacksonville or Orange Park is a common chiropractic technique. Chiropractors manipulate problematic areas such as the neck, upper back, and shoulder or arm and treat those who have headaches. Most people with cervical spine conditions go to a chiropractor as their first choice for treatment.
Chiropractors understand that treatment goals include reducing pain, improving motion, and restoring head and neck functions. However, only those who have supplied complete information regarding the patient history and have had a physical examination can be given chiropractic treatment.
If you live in Jacksonville or Orange Park please contact us at Meridian Integrative Wellness under the supervision of Dr. Nhat Nguyen for a free consultation.